On the day of the royal nuptials, I was looking for some comfortable travel clothes. Appropriate travel clothes could buy me perhaps a few seconds before being pick-pocketed. (Nearly all of my pre-departure information has revolved around how to avoid being robbed and/or assaulted overseas).
I had some quality time in Filene's basement, of all places. I found myself surrounded by wedding dresses and women stripping (as demurely as possible) in public. Two or three brides-to-be scoured the aisles. They had helpers running back to get alternatives, but they were otherwise pretty orderly. There was no fighting, screaming, or panic, which is supposed to accompany the annual Running of the Brides. I popped into an aisle of white taffeta (why not?) and looked at some of the dresses, which ran between $300 - $500 each. It was a nice, quiet moment.
I found a pair of black harem slacks that looked cute and European-ish. I also found a fierce, cropped leather jacket to go with said slacks. I did enjoy the Lady Gaga-like outfit in the fitting room immensely. But as I've outgrown costumes, at least the non-obligatory ones (see, the courtroom suit), I kept the comfy pants and left the jacket.
In line, there was one woman who was holding a pair of kid's shoes and a kid's dress. I felt bad that she had to wait in line behind other people buying a lot more clothes (there's never an express lane at these stores).
Now that my friends/cousins are having wee ones of their own, I appreciate the work that goes into parenting so much more. It's hard for me to imagine a life where I am not the center of my own little universe, where other people depend on me to support them... for life. I watch my mom take care of my grandma and wonder when I'll be taking care of my mom, or (eek) when I'll be taking care of little people of my own. Perhaps happiness is not the ability to buy the latest designer clothes, but the ability to buy a Dora the Explorer dress in addition to the groceries.
I don't have to worry about that stuff yet, but I am increasingly aware of it. For now, I can revel in the little things that make life sweeter, such as:
Amel Larrieux -> LOVE this song.
Chocolove -> Chocolate that is meant to evoke foreign correspondence and includes a love poem inside. It's made the the U.S., comes in organic flavors, and I just like it for many other irrational reasons. The ginger/dark chocolate bar has won my heart and tummy.
Le Pain Quotidien -> When I asked myself whether it was worth it to put myself together today given that I'm in the library all day, the answer came in the form of a free salad, accidentally omitted from my dinner check by a not-bad-looking waiter. My dining buddy was not so fortunate (but then again, he was not wearing cute shoes).
Postage-Paid Cards -> Still a fan of snail mail. Sending a Mother's day card just got that much easier.
Hope your week is turning up roses.
No comments:
Post a Comment