First, God Bless Tennessee.
Second, I've been brushing up on my French. There's also a lovely French-Canadian song which reintroduced me to some fundamental nouns that I hope to employ soon, like "shore," and some which I have no intention of using, such as "British soldier." It's based on a long-form poem by Longfellow about a French-Canadian heroine that he made up, after researching the plight of deported Acadians at the behest of his friend Nate Horne (of Scarlet Letter fame). (see, wikipedia; see generally, literary bromance). The style and tone is very different from his best-known piece, involving a dude named Paul Revere, but once again those British are making trouble.
Although he's never really moved me before, Henry Wadsworth Longfellow certainly knew how to make up a good yarn. Reading the actual poem is a very tranquil experience. As a kid I rejected rigid meter, but now I've mellowed to the point where it's kind of comforting. -.-
No comments:
Post a Comment