Saturday, August 18, 2012

Youth Power

So tonight I had a fantastic dinner with a galpal and her friend from Chicago, who is also the founder of a professional/educational program called Code Academy in Chicago. The website, http://codeacademy.org/, shows that the program is geared towards individuals who want to create and monetize web apps and general tech industry programs. I don't know anything about coding, so maybe I'm in the target demographic, since it's geared towards beginners. What really impressed me is that this CEO is only 25 years old.

Tonight I found that more and more of my conversations with good friends who are my age gravitate towards how old we think we are. Chilling in a place with 80's music. Complaining about aches and fatigue when it's about 10 p.m. Realizing that all of the folks who are dancing are at least five years younger than we are. While waiting outside a restaurant for my friends, I was greeted by a pickup line and I actually thanked the young man delivering it. Not because I was interested, but because it's rarer that I hear that sort of thing from men under the age of 50. Five years ago I would have acted like I hadn't heard him and just looked at my phone.

Frankly I'm tired of it. I'm not going to get any younger, and if people are still complaining like this ten years from now whenever we have a get-together, I don't know what I'm going to do. I know I'm just as guilty of it.  Perhaps the best thing is to avoid situations that I've perhaps outgrown. Maybe the problem is not that I'm too old, but that the patterns that define my weekends are just too young.


No comments:

Post a Comment